Lunch box ideas for back to school
Joy Feldman, NC JD
Summer vacation will be coming to end shortly and soon the streets will be dotted with large yellow school buses heralding “back to school.” With that transition comes lunchtime meal prep. Packing nutritious lunches that your kids will eat can be a daunting task, but I am here to offer some help. Ok y’all, do not stress.
Let’s get those kiddos in the kitchen with you and let’s get creative! Have some fun and don’t take on this task as yours only. Children are capable of helping you assemble their lunches. Start slowly with having them assist you a few days a week and soon they will love learning how to pack a lunch.
But wait, there is an added benefit here. When your young people are empowered with the task of taking responsibility for their lunch, they begin to learn about foods and its important relationship for their developing bodies. Yippee!
Below I have some lunch box suggestions:
- Spread Almond Butter on a mutli grain burruito wrap, then place assorted berries and banana around the wrap. Drizzle with honey. Then roll up.
- Spread creamy boursin cheese, inside a whole wheat pita pocket, then fill with roast turkey slices, baby spinach and cucumber slices.
- Pack a container with avocados mashed with lemon juice; top with a layer of shredded Monterey Jack before sealing. Fill 2 small whole wheat tortillas with shredded rotisserie chicken and sliced romaine lettuce and store in resealable plastic bags. Assemble at lunch.
- Thread skewers with grape tomatoes, cucumber chunks, cooked shrimp and toasted whole wheat bread cubes. Pack with pesto sauce for dipping.
- Toss diced roast chicken breast with pesto, diced mozzarella and sugar snap peas. Place in an airtight container and pack with a whole wheat hot dog bun.
Here’s to your health!